for eligible businesses
Free LED lighting upgrade
Replace your old commercial lighting with efficient, money-saving LEDs
Are downlights and fluoro tubes eating up your electricity budget?
We’re committed to giving businesses value for money on their energy. Our partner, Trade Services SA (TSSA), can help replace the lighting at your commercial premises with modern, energy efficient LEDs as part of the Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme (REES).
The REES is a South Australian government initiative to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Under REES, businesses not only save on lighting replacement costs, but benefit from reduced electricity bills, too. Upgrades to high-bay lighting are also available.
Make the switch to LED
Choose between two available upgrades:
Halogen downlights to LED
Up to 180 lights upgraded, worth up to $11,158 in installed value#
Fluorescent tubes to LED
Up to 180 lights replaced, worth up to $2,338 in installed value*
Upgrading to LED lighting is a fast way to reduce electricity consumption. LEDs use up to 75% less energy than traditional commercial lighting^, to help your business save on power while maintaining a safe and productive workplace.
Looking for more efficient lighting options? Contact us to see how we could help.
Which businesses are eligible?
The REES lighting upgrade is available to businesses that:
- Consume up to 160 MWh in electricity per year (larger energy users may still be eligible on payment of a fee)
- Have not previously received a lighting upgrade under the REES
- Can obtain permission from the premises’ landlord
- Are available for a site inspection with a minimum of 20 lights for upgrade
- And have all current lighting in working order.
Our trusted partner, Trade Services SA
Our partner, Trades Services SA (TSSA), has been involved in the REES since it commenced in 2009.
TSSA is the largest creator of energy-saving credits and has the highest compliance standards under the scheme.
In 2017, TSSA saved more than 800,000GJ of energy under the REES. That’s a carbon offset equivalent to planting 2.7 million trees.
Inspection and installation conditions
- Available until 31/12/19 or until the conclusion of the Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme, whichever is earlier.
- Offer available in metropolitan and greater-Adelaide surrounds. Regional locations will be subject to availability of a Trades Services SA representative.
- Offer is subject to site inspection, with a compulsory minimum of 20 lights eligible for upgrade.
- Large business customers are those where the National Meter Identifier (NMI) / site consumes upwards of 160 MWh of electricity per annum, and are required to contribute a minimum of $1.40 per GJ (incl. GST) saved by the upgrade. Small business do not have to pay this statutory fee.
- A maximum of 900 GJ REES credits available per site.
- All REES energy credits created under this offer must be assigned to AGL. For this offer to be valid, our partner, Trades Services SA, must install the lighting.
- Only available for premises which have not previously had LED lights installed under REES.
^See the Department of Environment and Energy website, energy.gov.au
#Product value based on RRP of $61.99 based on Emerald Planet LED shoplight round fixed series as of 1 July 2019.
*Product value based on RRP of $12.99 per LED tube 11 W Emerald Planet Nano, as of 1 July 2019.
Terms and conditions
- The tube replacement site must have existing and operating fluorescent tube lighting. Installation will depend on adequate power supply for replacement of existing magnetic ballast fluorescent tubes with LED tubes in the same location.
- Non-working lights need to be replaced to comply with AS/NZS1680; they will be replaced at market rates and they are not eligible for the REES.
- New installations which do not involve replacing existing lights are not eligible for the REES, and will be charged at market rates. Any additional parts or materials will incur additional charges.
- Any switchboard work or upgrades will incur additional charges. Additional charges may apply if a non-standard scissor lift is required.